Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Selfish Mommy

During the summer, my son and I had lots of bonding time.  And, I'm happy to report, most of it was the good, healthy kind.

One day, he was watching me in the sewing room as I worked on a quilt project.  He had also overheard me talking about the Show and Tell session at my local quilt guild meeting.  Now, being a well-versed young man, graduated at the top of his kindergarten class, he knew exactly what Show and Tell meant.

He announced that he wanted to make a quilt and learn how to use the sewing machine.

Be still, my heart!  How proud could a Mama be??

We lugged down the scrap box, and he carefully chose the colors and patterns that "spoke" to him.  Together we learned about the pressure foot, the foot pedal (that was the funnest part!), and making the machine go and stop.  I served merely as an assistant, and he was the Chief Designer.  He was very methodical in his choices and work.  I did not (and still do not) completely understand his vision, but who am I to judge an artist?

His work-in-progress is here:


Quite lovely, yes?

As often happens, his fascination with all things sewn waned after just a few days.  I kept his work in a box in the sewing room with his name on it.  The box has remained untouched for about three months now.

This morning, I was working on a project while he played in his room.  I realized it was silent next door, and every Mom knows that is not a good thing.

I found him on the floor, looking forlorn. "Are you OK?" I asked with concern.

He looked up at me with his huge blue eyes and said, "I don't think it's fair that you get to work in the sewing room all the time, and I haven't worked on my quilt in a long time."

Selfish Mommy.

No comments: